Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Life History Project

http://prezi.com/5gl_k9nonesa/present/?auth_key=5iz11xf&follow=lvebxg07zupz

Above is the link to my Prezi presentation on the Life History of Tom Giarratana. When I was asked to choose a person to interview for this project, I had no hesitation in making a decision. The man I chose is someone I've known for about five years and have always wanted to know more about. I've been babysitting for his children for years, but I wanted to learn more about their family and upbringing. At first, I thought the interview might be awkward because I would be asking Tom personal questions. Thankfully, we feel comfortable enough around each other that it wasn't awkward at all. As he recollected the events of his childhood, he told stories of his past in a clever and funny way. Tom always wants to make people laugh; by making his stories funny, I think he felt more comfortable telling them to me. I really enjoyed interviewing him the first time and had even more fun the second time. We sat around his kitchen table or in his living room, got comfortable and just talked. The interviews flowed so smoothly they were almost effortless. He was a great candidate for me to interview. Tom has had an interesting life; he has learned many important lessons and been faced with many challenges that have made him into the person he is today. I admire him for his strength, his confidence and his constant sense of humor. I could not have asked for a better person to interview. Since I conducted both interviews, Tom and I have become a lot closer. He contacts me much more often to see how I'm doing and tries to stay apart of my life, even though we don't live close to each other anymore. I think this life history project was a great way to get to know the person we were interviewing and see what their life has been like for them thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment